ℹ️ This feature is available to all users.
Splines are curved sketches that you can use to create organic shapes.
There are two different types of splines:
- Fit point splines: The spline goes through each fit point smoothly.
- Control point splines: Every created point is a vertex of a polyline (invisible), and the app automatically creates a smoothed-out version of it.
Go to Sketch > Spline, and then choose the spline type: “Control” or “Fit.” You can further customize the required pencil pressure for the points.
- You can start drawing a spline with your Apple Pencil just as you would draw a line. If you have a mouse or trackpad, then click to add the first point.
- Wherever you want to create a curve, press the screen with your Apple Pencil without lifting it up to create the spline points. If you’re using a mouse or trackpad, click to create the spline points.
- To continue your curve, carefully release the pressure on your Apple Pencil (without lifting it) or mouse/trackpad and keep drawing and adding more spline points.
Once you release your pencil from the screen, your sketch is done.
- Finish your sketch by releasing your Apple Pencil from the screen. If you’re using a mouse or trackpad, then you can either remove the last point or entire spline and finish by pressing the following:
- Delete (Backspace)
- Command + .
Or, secondary click (right-click) with your mouse.
To keep the last point and finish, press Return.
- You can move or delete the spline points to adjust the curves.
Note: If you created a “Fit” type spline, then you can add more points to it by pushing down on your Apple Pencil or long-clicking with your mouse or trackpad along the curve.
See how to create splines in this video: