Everything you need to know about Shapr3D Sync:
- What is Shapr3D Sync?
- How does Shapr3D Sync work?
- How do I enable Shapr3D Sync?
- Why should I use Shapr3D Sync?
- Any must-haves for Shapr3D Sync?
- Will Shapr3D become a cloud-based product in the future?
- Can I integrate my own server instead of the cloud?
- How are my designs encrypted in the cloud?
- Is two-factor authentication available for users and required for Shapr3D?
- Where are the storage servers physically located? Under what circumstances will you allow third parties to access them?
- What happens if there’s some sort of data corruption? Does Shapr3D keep versioned backups?
- I don’t want to use the cloud. Can I still use the app?
What is Shapr3D Sync?
Shapr3D Sync is a bundle of features that you can use to connect designs to your Shapr3D account and sync them across all your devices: Windows PCs and tablets, Macs, and iPads. That means you can open, view, and edit the latest version of your designs on any device with an active internet connection — as long as you're logged in to your account on a Sync-enabled device. Enhance your workflow with quick access to your creations on the device of your choice and easily redownload your designs to a new device.
How does Shapr3D Sync work?
By default, all designs that you create on your device exist locally. Once you link those designs to your Shapr3D account and enable Sync in the app settings, they will be exclusively tied to your account. So, when you open the app and log in to your account on any Sync-enabled device, all linked designs will be available with the latest changes. There's no need anymore to carry over your work to other devices via manual export and import. Plus, every time you create designs while you're logged in to your account, those new designs will be automatically linked to the account.
Bear in mind that you can sync designs only if you meet all criteria:
- In the app, you're logged in to the account that contains the designs you want to sync.
- On your device, Sync is enabled in the app settings.
- You’re connected to the internet.
How do I enable Shapr3D Sync?
Select the cloud icon in the Dashboard or Designs page:
Or, enable it in Settings.
Why should I use Shapr3D Sync?
Shapr3D Sync is the solution you need if:
- You have a new device and you want to transfer your designs from your old device to your new one. With Shapr3D Sync, you won’t have to manually and individually export designs on your old device and import them into your new one.
- You want to work on the same design on multiple devices simultaneously. With Shapr3D Sync, your designs are up to date on all devices and any changes are automatically synced across all devices. You can pick up where you left off on any device.
Any must-haves for Shapr3D Sync?
You need a Shapr3D account, the Shapr3D app (version 5.210 or newer) and internet connection.
Will Shapr3D become a cloud-based product in the future?
No. Shapr3D Sync will be optional for users and you're free to opt in or out of it anytime. Your designs will continue to be stored locally on your devices, and Shapr3D Sync will only be used to sync designs between your devices and back up your files.
Can I integrate my own server instead of the cloud?
Not at the moment.
How are my designs encrypted in the cloud?
Currently, there is no end-to-end encryption; designs are encrypted at rest and in transit. The Shapr3D team has access to your designs but the team can only process your content to:
- Grant you access to the services and any corresponding services, such as Sync and conversion services.
- Maintain the Services so they are in working order, such as troubleshooting or responding to incidents.
- Comply with any legal requirements or governmental requests.
- Research how the Services are used so the team can improve them.
Please note that regarding synchronized user content, if you explicitly allow the Shapr3D team to access your content, that means the team can access your designs for purposes shared above.
Is two-factor authentication available for users and required for Shapr3D?
Two-factor authentication is not available for end-user authentication. It is required for Shapr3D employees who have access to the backend, including Shapr3D Sync.
Where are the storage servers physically located? Under what circumstances will you allow third parties to access them?
Storage servers are located in the Ireland region of Amazon Web Services. Shapr3D does not allow third parties to access designs stored via Shapr3D Sync, except for situations in which the company must comply with any legal requirements or governmental requests.
What happens if there’s some sort of data corruption? Does Shapr3D keep versioned backups?
Shapr3D has scheduled backups. Also, Amazon S3 provides backups as part of their data availability guarantee. Please create a support ticket here if you’d like Shapr3D to restore the last non-corrupt version of your designs.
I don’t want to use the cloud. Can I still use the app?
Shapr3D Sync will be optional for users and you’re free to opt in or out anytime. Your designs will continue to be stored locally on your devices.