Use the Construction Axis tool to create an axis for reference in your project. Some examples of creating construction axes include:
- Creating an axis for a circular pattern.
- Creating a reference point or snapping point.
- Creating a virtual intersection at a filleted corner.
Axes are infinite in length but are represented in the modeling space with a size based on how they are defined. For general information regarding construction geometry, visit Understanding construction geometry.
Creating a Construction Axis
To create a Construction Axis:
- Go to Add > Construction Axis.
For other methods of accessing this tool, visit Accessing tools.
- Select Type then choose a construction axis type.
- Select appropriate references for the type of axis you chose (for details, see Construction Axis types).
- Select Done.
You can use the Adaptive User Interface as a shortcut for creating construction axes. To make use of this shortcut, pre-select an element in your project that will be used to define the axis, then select Add Axis from the customized menu at the left. After defining the axis, click in an empty area of the modeling space to complete the command.
Construction Axis types
You can define a Construction Axis in several different ways. Select the type of construction axis you want to define from the Type menu. The tooltip at the top of the modeling space will provide you with directions on what you need to do to create the type of axis you have chosen. T
Use the Through edge type of construction axis to create an axis at a selected edge or line. You can select a linear edge of a body or a sketch line to define this type of axis.
Perpendicular to face at point
Use the Perpendicular to face at point type of construction axis to create an axis that is perpendicular to a selected planar element and through a selected point. Follow these steps to create this type of axis:
- Select a face, plane, or closed sketch.
- Select Next.
- Select an existing point or select anywhere in the modeling space to define the point the axis will run through.
- Optional: Drag the point to reposition the axis. The point will snap to the grid, sketch geometry, or body geometry.
Through Cylinder or Cone
Use the Through cylinder or cone type of construction axis to create an axis at the center of a cylindrical or conical face.
Through 2 Points
Use the Through 2 points type of construction axis to create an axis between two selected reference points. You can select sketch points and vertices, or you can select anywhere in the modeling space to define a new point. Follow these steps to create this type of axis:
- Select the first point the axis will run through.
- Select the second point the axis will run through.
- Optional: Drag the points to reposition the axis. The points will snap to the grid, sketch geometry, or body geometry.
Through 2 Planes
Use the Through 2 planes type of construction axis to create an axis at the intersection of two selected planar elements. You can select planes, faces, or closed sketches to define this type of axis.