Use the Move/Rotate tool in the 3D environment to move or rotate sketch regions, edges, faces, and 3D bodies. This tool also includes a Copy function that allows for selected elements to be duplicated. The Move/Rotate tool uses the gizmo, which provides arrows and tiles for directional control, can be aligned with other geometry, and includes dimension labels for defining precise movements.
To use the Move/Rotate tool in the 3D environment:
Go to Transform > Move/Rotate.
The Move/Rotate tool automatically becomes active when a body is selected. You can select an entire body by double-clicking any face of the body.
- Select the elements you want to reposition.
- If you want to move or rotate a copy of your selection rather than the original, select .
Note: The Copy badge appears as blue when selected.
Use the gizmo to specify the new location using these methods:
- Move the gizmo center as necessary.
- Drag the arrows to move/rotate dynamically.
- Select the arrows or dimension labels to enter values in the numpad.
Note: Use the Auto-orientation option at the top left to control whether or not the gizmo aligns with other geometry when moving the gizmo center. This option is only available when accessing the Move/Rotate tool from the Transform menu.
- Complete the Move/Rotate tool by selecting Done.
Note: You can create new edges to use with the Move/Rotate tool by projecting sketch elements onto faces. For more information, visit Project.
To manage history settings for the Move/Rotate action, find the step for your specific movement/rotation and then view or modify the following:
- Start Center – Click/tap Edit… or Select… to choose a different starting center and then select Done to finish.
- Target Bodies – Click/tap Edit… or Select… to choose a different target body and then select Done to finish.
- Target Faces – Click/tap Edit… or Select… to choose a different target face and then select Done to finish.
- Target Edges – Click/tap Edit… or Select… to choose a different target edge and then select Done to finish.
Copy – Toggle the slider to turn on or off the original copy.
Learn more by watching the video below: