The Ellipse tool creates a closed sketch region that is defined by a major and minor axis.
To create an ellipse:
- Define your sketch plane, go to Sketch > Ellipse.
💡TIP: For other methods of accessing this tool, visit: Accessing tools.
- Place the center point and circumference of the ellipse in the sketch.
- Touch or pen: Select a point on the grid for the center of the ellipse and drag to position the circumference.
- Keyboard and mouse/trackpad:
- Click to place a point, then move your pointer to draw a line. This will be the length of your first axis. Click to finalize the diameter of the first axis.
- Move your pointer perpendicular to your first axis to define the second axis. Click to finalize the diameter of the second axis.
Note: You can specify the values for the major and minor axes before placing the endpoints by typing the values using a keyboard.
For information on how to edit the dimensions of a sketch, visit Editing sketch dimensions.
For more information on using this tool, check out the 2D shapes tutorial on our website.